Meatless Lunch Ideas

 One goal when moving to an anti-inflammatory WFPB (whole food, plant based) diet is to eat more meatless or plant based lunches!  Since drive-thrus and ham and cheese sandwiches are the most popular lunches for Americans, I thought I would share a few ideas! 

The first one is vegetable based soups! Here are some great recipes I love:


Vegetable Soup From Love and Lemons

 

Lentil Soup My New Roots


Many To Choose From Rebecca Katz


The next delicious idea is grain bowls!  It is easy to prep veggies by roasting, steaming, or sauteeing.  Then cooking a grain and adding some flavor!  I like a simple vinaigrette, with oil and vinegar.  This handout gives some ideas for creating! Let's Bowl. This is a great place to get creative.  Add some crunch with nuts and seeds and protein with beans or lentils.  Use hearty grains that your blood sugar will take a long time to burn like farro, quinoa, wheat berry, millet, or barley. Use whatever seasonal and tasty vegetables you like best!


More grain bowl ideas here: 


Forks Over Knives Green Goddess Bowl


Buddha Bowl


A cookbook I love to use for inspiration!


The third idea is a simple vegetable pita or sandwich.  As always I recommend high quality seedy or grainy bread!  Hummus or avocado make a great spread instead of mayo.  I like to add sunflower or pumpkin seeds to my sandwiches and then as many cut up, diced, sliced, or chunked veggies you can find!  I typically do cucumber, carrot, tomato, radish, and sometimes jicama.  You can do raw or roasted veggies as well.  Whatever sounds good, again be creative and make it yummy and pretty! 


Image from Two Peas Site


Popular Posts